Saturday 6 August 2011

One day in a language school in Australia

Teacher: “All right, now I’d like you to make a sentence using the words GREENPINK and YELLOW. Who’d like to try?”

A student raised his hand. It was Kukoya from Japan.

Kukoya: “Early this morning, I looked out the window, I saw the GREEN grass and PINK roses in the garden. I went outside and I feel the warm YELLOW sunlight around me.”

Teacher: “Not bad. Okay, who’s next?”

Another student raised his hand. It was Ah Beng from Singapore.

Ah Beng: “I try! I try. Can aaah?”
Teacher: “No, no, not you!”

Ah Beng: “Aaaiiyaaa… let me try lah…
I can do lah… you think I’m stupid meeh…?”

Teacher: “Okay… go ahead…”

Ah Beng: “This morning I heard the phone GREEEEEN… GREEEEEN… I PINK up and I said: YELLOOOOW?”

Teacher: ????


note: In Singapore, the term 'Ah Beng' is normally used describe gangster wannabes who cannot speak fluent English and have very low education. They commonly speak in Mandarin or Hokkien.
The female equivalent of an 'Ah Beng' is an Ah Lian.

0 comments:

Post a Comment